Welcome To

Ravenshead Parish Council

Serving the heart of Ravenshead, the Parish Council provides local services, maintains community facilities, and works with residents to shape the village's future.

More about the Council

History of Ravenshead

Here are few facts about the Village of Ravenshead - if you would like to submit any photographs or information that may be used on the website please email:- admin@ravensheadpc.org.uk

The shopping precinct was built in the early 1960s and the Post Office opened in 1966.

Swinton Rise is named after Herbert Swinton who moved to the area from Hucknall about 1930 and developed large areas of land off Sheepwalk Lane.

All the mature pine trees in Church Drive were planted by Vera Cox (nee Swinton), daughter of Herbert Swinton.

The Sherwood Ranger opened in 1971, the name reflecting the close connection of the district with the former Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry.

Vernon Crescent was named after Vernon, the only child of Mr and Mrs William Dovey, who died from polio at the age of 2. William Dovey bought much of the land at the south end of Sheepwalk Lane and on Longdale Lane, and built a number of the earliest houses here between 1930 and 1936.

Cambourne Gardens: Whilst clearing the land for housing here in 1966, workmen found the Fishpool Gold Hoard. It was the biggest find of gold coins ever in Britain, comprising 1237 coins and also 4 rings, 4 pieces of jewellery and 2 lengths of chain

The Little John pub was built about 1837 by Rowland Ward, a Blidworth draper and farmer.

Chapel Lane is named after the United Free Methodist Chapel, built 1864 and demolished 1960. The church stood where house number 12 now is.

At number 40 Chapel Lane is the Slaney Stone, recording the death on 24th January 1893 of John Slaney of Longdale Farm.